Open face steak sandwich
Open face steak sandwichSkriv ut recept
For the Onions
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 7.5kg onions, peeled and
- finely sliced
For the Steaks
- 3kg beef sirloin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To cook the steaks, preheat the Hub BBQ to medium heat. Season the sirloin on all sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Take the spit attachment and add on the first fork, the add the meat is and the final fork. Push the forks together to hold the meat in place. When the coals are ready, place the spit on setting 2 and begin the rotation. Monitor the heat topping up the coals as needed. It is important to maintain a surface temperature of around 70-80c. Allow the sirloin to reach a core temp of 52C, then lower the setting to 1 to colour the meat. Remove the spit and rest the meat on a cooling rack placed over a tray and allow to rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
For the Mustard Vinaigrette
- 40g White wine vinegar
- 40g Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 120g Groundnut or grapeseed oil
To Finish the Sandwich
- 20 slices Pain de Campagne (Country loaf)
- olive oil
- 250g blue cheese
- 2 bunches watercress mustard vinaigrette
To make the onions, melt the butter in a medium-size pan over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and cook until lightly caramelised and golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Make the mustard vinaigrette by combining the vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until fully emulsified. Season with salt. You will not use all the vinaigrette, but it will store well, covered in the fridge for several weeks.
Finish the Sandwich
Brush the slices of bread with a little oil and place over the hot BBQ until grill marks are visible. Remove from the heat. Place the steak slices on top of the grilled bread and spoon over the onion.
Toss the watercress in just enough mustard vinaigrette to lightly coat. Finish the sandwich by crumbling over the blue cheese and topping with the dressed watercress.